- This is the first level of the exam.
- It takes place in August every year .
- The questions are objective in nature.
UPSC Preliminary Examination Syllabus
Syllabus of Paper I -(200 marks) Duration : Two hours
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance - Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development - Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not require subject specialisation General Science.
Syllabus for Paper II-(200 marks) Duration: Two hours
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. - Class X level)
- Paper-II of the Civil Services (Preliminary) examination will be a qualifying paper only with a minimum of 33% to be secured .
- Both the papers are objective type,multiple choice based questions.
- A candidate has to appear in both the papers.