Usually a candidate chooses his optional considering one of the following factors :
1.Take the same optional his room mate/friend/senior has taken.
2.Try to find out which optional was given highest marks in previous years and take that.
3. Depending on the goodwill of a particular coaching institute.
4. Subject of graduation
5.Blind choice -Inky Pinky Ponky type!
There are some adventurous students who take up a totally new subject for the sake of experimenting or curiosity to learn .
What happens when you take the inappropriate optional ?
1. Lack of interest in studying and understanding .
2. Not able to sustain studying the same subject for more than 1 attempt
3. Low scores in Mains because of optional – Miss the cut off for interview call .
4. Change optional at last minute ,just after Prelims leading to unnecessary stress.
And you should definitely know it’s importance before you take it lightly !Have a look !
The below images are marksheets of few 2014 toppers .They have scored as much in 2 optional papers as all the 4 GS papers put together.
Considering the importance of optional, it is necessary to select the right optional.
I would suggest you to do the following things before choosing an optional subject
1.Consider your interest in the subject because you might have to study the same subject for more than a year.
2.Check if there is good material for the subject ,either in the market or any academy’s notes.
3. Look into the syllabus of the optional and see if you are comfortable in understanding the text or subject
4 .Look at previous years question papers.
5.Is there any teacher /person who can guide you with the particular subject? If yes ,great
6. Read through Toppers strategy of preparing the particular optional . Weigh them against your strengths and weaknesses.
And finally yes ,have faith on your choice and go ahead !!
If you still have further queries,please let me know .I shall be glad to help you .
All the best!
Officers IAS Academy
See more updates in following link Best IAS Academy in Chennai.