How to choose an optional subject from the list of optional subjects given in UPSC CSE notification?
- First shortlist two to three subjects as per your interest
- Review past years question paper
- Check for yourself which subject you are able to understand without much difficulty
What is Sociology?
It is a systematic and scientific study of human behavior, social groups and the society.
Out of 1750 marks the mains examination carry,the major subjects contributing to the marks are
- Essay 250 marks
- Ethics 250 marks
- Sociology 500 marks
Hence by scoring 450 to 500 marks out of 1000 in an aggregate can help clear the exam.
- It can never be a cause of rejection if you give ample required input .It gives solution to social problems
- It provides a better societal understanding
- It helps understand relations in theoretical and contemporary set up
- It is diverse, holistic and covers a wide range
- As we start analyzing things with sociological perspective ,our overall thinking broadens and improves.
What are the Benefits of sociology as an optional?
- sources are easily available
- the syllabus is compact
- it is more scoring
- it has got interlinking to the other subjects
- helpful in essay paper.
- improves the writing skill
- Even if you are from engineering,law,medical background sociology doesn’t nedd any background to add to the understanding and score.
Notes making in sociology?
- It combines collected sources from multiple sectors into one.
- It helps us revise well
How much time required to fully complete the syllabus?
- 2 months is an ample time with employing 3-4 hours everyday.
How to take down notes?
- Break the topics into topics and subtopics.
- Supplement paper 2 with contemporary examples and Theory with real examples
- Interpret your own understanding of the syllabus.
- Adjoining it to the correct aspect read Yojana, Kurukshetra, Newspaper
- Include notes with symbols and flowcharts and make it a Mixture of points and paragraph.
- Study unit wise.
How answer writing helps?
- Writing and practicing consistently creates a difference between high and low scorer.
- Importance of test series in analyzing and improving over the weakness.
Importance of Answer writing
- Boosts Confidence
- Improves Score
Coaching or self study:
- Coaching provides a framework
- You can avoid coaching but not self study.
What to avoid?
- Mistakes of not writing
- Not completing the whole syllabus.
- Do not write in GS style of answer writing.
- Studying regularly from multiple sources
How to cover syllabus?
- Break the syllabus
What is the logical way of breaking the topic:
- For the Portions same to paper 1 and 2,correlate and study.
- Refer to sources
- Refer to previous year question papers
- Prepare notes
- keep the notes updated with daily current affairs
- Answer writing after each unit.
What are the suggested reading/Booklist?
Paper 1and paper 2:
- Self notes are prime source.
- Teachers class notes
- Supplement the notes with IGNOU material paper 1
- Sociology Themes and Perspectives: Haralombus and Sociological Theory: Ritzer
- CEC UGC Website
- Fundamentals of Sociology: Vikas ranjan
- Applied sociology by Vikas Ranjan
- Ram Ahuja for Social Issues
- Sociology by Nadeem Hussain
- Indian society by S.C Dubey
- Youtube and Google sources
- NCERTS : that covers basics in sociology