Eligibility Criteria for EWS

You know that the central government has recently passed a bill for the reservation of EWS in government jobs. But there are some confusions regarding that eligibility issue. Today we shall discuss them one by one.

About the EWS category

  1. This category is strictly for general category candidates. For those included in OBC, SC or ST category are not eligible to apply. Only general category people can apply for this 10% quota.
  2. This will be applicable only in central government posts and central government universities — not the state government, what some people may wrongly think.

Checking Eligibility

Now there are two parameters to judge the eligibility. And you have to qualify them both. Income and asset.

Firstly, the Income Part. Here we are talking about family income,

Not individual income. The family has a gross annual income below Rs 8 lakhs (Rupees eight lakh only) is to be identified as EWSs for the benefit of reservation. Here, family means literarily everybody of your family. Parents, siblings and spouse and your own income. All their income will be added with your income in that case.

Income shall also include income from all sources, i.e. salary, agriculture, business, profession, etc. for the financial year before the year of application. That means the income of last one year will be considered. And the sum total of all types of income earned by all living in a family has to be less than Rs 8 lakhs/annum.


Secondly, the Asset Part. 

  1. To be classified under EWS, your family should not own or possess agricultural land of size 5 acres or above.
  2. Your family should not own or possess a residential flat of area 1000 sq. feet or more.
  3. Your family should not own or possess a residential plot of area 100 sq. yards or more in notified municipalities.

{You may note that 100 sq. yards is equal to 900 sq ft OR 2 cents (approx).}

  1. Your family should not own or possess a residential plot of area 200 sq. yards or more in areas other than in notified municipalities.


For this part, you have to know if your house is under any notified municipality or not. Just go to google, search for notified municipalities of your state. You will get a list and check out.

Next step

After you have checked your status, you will clearly understand that you are eligible or not. If you are eligible, the next question comes, where to contact for a certificate.

The Income and Asset Certificate issued ‘by anyone of the following authorities in the prescribed format shall only be accepted as proof of candidate’s claim as ‘belonging to EWS.

  • District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/Additional’ Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendary Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner
  • Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate
  • Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar
  • Sub-Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate and/or his family
    normally resides.


If you have further doubts, feel free to contact me at ewshelpline@officersiasacademy.com.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>