Is failure to crack the UPSC civil service exam the end of life for aspirants?
Absolutely NOT. Please understand that Civil Services Exam is not the biggest exam, but life is. Even if you do not crack the Civil Services Exam, it does not change anything about what kind of a person you are nor what you are capable of. I have seen some of my students who could not clear the CSE even though they put their heart and time into it. Sometimes, they miss the final cut by a whisker or tough luck, and the pain is surreal. But trust me when I say that this is not the end of life. At this point, you have two options in front of you. 1) Let the pain control you and drown in the despair, or 2) Let the pain be your motivating factor and work to win the ultimate exam, the life itself.
There might be countless factors that might still be pulling you into sadness. What would my parents think of me now? Why are my relatives mocking me as someone who has wasted their life? My friends have settled in life, but why have I not achieved anything? Am I going to be of some value in the future?
Let me assure you that your life has just begun. And what you have done so far is commendable as you gave up many of the comforts of life to fight for your dream, which was to serve your Nation selflessly. Do not feel ashamed of what others think or what you could not achieve. If your heart is clear that you gave everything, then you are a winner, even if your name is not on the final list. Use your pain to forge your path. Whatever the exam has taught you will only be helpful in your life for this. I will tell you how the preparation has changed you, regardless of your selection.
- Knowledge- You now possess information about almost everything. You are now multiple times knowledgeable than you were before your preparation days.
- Hard work- Now, you hold a gift that others don’t have, which is to have the ability to work hard for a goal. This will take you to heights if you can apply it to any aspect of your life.
- Thinking- The questions you faced in Prelims, Mains, and Interview were of critical and analytical nature. Be it any situation where it demands; you now have a mind that can analyze all the necessary factors and make a good decision.
- Finesse- The exam pressure that you managed so far has made you calm and composed in any stressful environment. Your mind can handle any such situation and come out of it.
- You now have seen it all. From being rejected to understanding your genuine well-wishers, you have a fresh start and strong heart and face anything that comes your way.
This is it… and nothing more can hurt you anymore. The choice is yours, whether to use the pain for getting stronger or fall into a bottomless pit. Take some time off to evaluate options in front of you. I have mentioned how the preparation has changed you and some of the strengths you now possess that can change your life for good, and please be proud of what you have become- a knowledgeable person who has built-in perseverance. Do not fall for any negative comments from others. Unless someone walks in your shoes, they cannot fathom what you have gone through. Now is the time to focus on your future and start building new chapters of happiness. Kindly use your knowledge and skills to better our country and find new heights in life. All the best!